Click on one of the burial grounds below for some information about it and a list of the people buried there.
Many of the headstone inscriptions below were transcribed from Burying Grounds of Charon, CT Amenia and North East, N. Y., Published Amenia, NY 1903. Headstone inscriptions in PDF format were copied in 1934, under the auspices of the F.E.R.A. and the W.P.A. sponsored by the Connecticut State Library. It was compiled under the supervision of Charles R. Hale and Mary H. Babin.
Originally known as the Sharon Burying Ground, the Hillside Cemetery has been Sharon’s primary place of burial since December 11, 1739. On that day, the town fathers met at the home of Nathaniel Skinner to decide about essential elements of a growing, thriving town. They concluded that designing and creating a burial ground was one of those essentials. Nathaniel Skinner and Lew Jabez (Habezz) were asked to locate an appropriate site. They found the first part of what has become the Hillside Cemetery, a good name for the site, as it looks out from a hillside across the west and north of the town. The earliest burials are near the upper entrance gate.
As additional land became necessary, two acres were purchased from the King family in 1812 for $244. The Kings lived in the large brick house, which even today stands nearby at the top of the green. The Sharon land records of 1812 include a deed of purchase for this land. Agents for the acquisition were Samuel Roberts, a hired man to George King, who later did well in real estate; Samuel Rockwell, who represented Sharon in the Connecticut legislature of 1815; and Samuel Gager, who served as assistant surgeon in the navy during the Revolutionary War.
In 1875, the Sharon Burying Ground Association voted to have the Cemetery mowed and cleared annually by July 15. In 1878, a vote was taken that the “grass and weeds be cut the last week in June and cleared by July 1.” The process was to be repeated in the last week of August.
In 1890, the directors of the Association decided they needed a map of the cemetery. The task was completed, but the map was unfortunately lost. A new map appeared in 1927. However it lacked necessary information such as names of the older stones. Today a large map with plot numbers and an accompanying card catalog of names with numbers are on file at The Sharon Historical Society, and the names are in a searchable data base.
A controversy developed in the early 20th century, when the directors of the Association decided to “re-sell” plots in the oldest part from which previously set stones had vanished. The Superintendent of the Cemetery was so upset by this decision that he resigned from his position and from the Board.
To this day, the Burying Ground Association is the group that looks after the cemetery. It is made up of about eight volunteers who meet four times a year, in March, June, September and December. They review the finances-money to keep up the Cemetery has been left in an endowment-and discuss the repairs and maintenance that need doing. Among their ongoing jobs is repair of the gravestones which fall over, break up and generally need care.
Headstone Inscriptions & Maps
Click on one of the links below to download a full list of Sharon Buring Ground headstone inscriptions or maps of the cemetery.Alphabetical list of headstone inscriptions Spreadsheet of Hillside Cemetery Hillside Cemetery Map 1 Hillside Cemetery Map 2
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Ellsworth Cemetery by clicking the link below.Ellsworth Cemetery headstones
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Amenia Union Cemetery by clicking the link below.Amenia Union Cemetery headstones
On the north side of the road leading from Ellsworth, East Street, to Ellsworth proper, is the original burying ground of the Ellsworth society.
When it was first used for that purpose is not known now. The last burial there was a daughter of Joseph Lord, Esq., and was probably not far from 1778. The grave being filled with water so impressed Mr. Lord with the necessity for a more suitable place of burial that he immediately gave the society the land for the present Ellsworth Cemetery. He died in 1778, and his headstone recites the fact that he was the first person buried in the ground he had given.
A forest of trees now covers the old place of burial, among which the rows of graves yet show. Many of them are marked by stones native to the place, only two having headstones with inscriptions. It would be interesting to know the names of these silent sleepers, but for that we must wait till the graves are opened and the dead arise. The two inscriptions found are:
ROBERTS, Mr. Mark, d. Feb. 17, 1767, in his 84th yr.
ROBERTS, Mr. Nathaniel, d. Jan. 16. 1766, in his 55th yr.
Mr. Samuel Everett of Ellsworth says that the following were buried in this place: Adonijah Maxam, Amos Sanford. Joseph Lovell, Nathaniel Chapman, Deborah Lord, wife of Isaiah Everett and dau. of Joseph Lord, Esq.
Having heard it called the Pine Swamp Burying Ground it is given that title, yet there is nothing about the neighborhood to suggest the name. It is located on the left hand side of the road as one goes from Sharon to West Cornwall, or ground high and dry. A more fitting name would be the Smith Burying Ground, there being many of that name buried there.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Pine Swamp Burying Ground by clicking the link below.Pine Swamp Burying Ground headstones
This burying ground is known as the Cartwright Burying Ground, from the fact that people of that name owned the land all about it, and many of them are buried there. It is on Sharon Mountain, and the road leading past it is known as Ellsworth East Street. It is well fenced and very well cared for, and is still used as a place of burial.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Cartwright Burying Ground by clicking the link below.Cartwright Burying Ground headstones
This burying ground is about half way between Sharon and Amenia Union. It is generally called the Boland District Burying Ground, the Bolands once owning the land round about, and many of them being buried there. It is on a sandy knoll on the west side of the road, and is well cared for. It is one of the oidest burying grounds in the town, as shown by the inscriptions copied from it.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Boland District Burying Ground by clicking the link below.Boland District Burying Ground headstones
On the farm of Charles Malcuit, on Sharon Mountain, in a pasture field, are two headstones inscribed as below. There are evidences of many graves that are not marked, but no one seems to remember any more about it than can now be discovered by a visit to it. it is large in area for a family burying ground, and doubtless was a neighborhood affair, before the one in the “Cartwright neighborhood” was used.
CARTWRIGHT, Samuel, s. of Samuel and Abiel, d. Feb. 9, 1774, ae. 11 mos., 9 dys.
HUTCHINSON, Mr. Ezra, d. Feb. 28, 1799, ae. 40.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Moravian Cemetery by clicking the link below.Moravian Cemetery headstones
Download information about the Town Burial Plot by clicking the link below.Town Burial Plot records
Download information about the Roberts Cemetery by clicking the link below.Roberts Cemetery records
This list of inscriptions was copied in 1934, under the auspices of the F.E.R.A. and the W.P.A. sponsored by the Connecticut State Library. It was compiled under the supervision of Charles R. Hale and Mary H. Babin.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the St. Bridgets Cemetery by clicking the link below.St. Bridgets Cemetery headstones
This list of inscriptions was copied in 1934, under the auspices of the F.E.R.A. and the W.P.A. sponsored by the Connecticut State Library. It was compiled under the supervision of Charles R. Hale and Mary H. Babin.
Download a list of headstone transcriptions from the Catholic Cemetery by clicking the link below.Catholic Cemetery headstones
Download information about the Pine Meadow Cemetery by clicking the link below.Pine Meadow Cemetery records
Virtual Cemetery Tours
Each Year the Sharon Historical Society hosts a Cemetery Walk that highlights Sharon’s famous and infamous former residents. This year we decide to host an online tour complete with maps, biographies and photos. Select one of the tours below to explore Sharon’s history from the perspective of the people who now reside in its cemeteries. Enjoy!
Sharon’s Street Names
The names of the roads here in Sharon are all uniquely tied to the history of their locations. In this tour we will explore the people connected to four roads: Calkinstown Road, Gay Street, Jewett Hill Road, and Williams Road.
Stephen Calkin (Calkinstown Road)
In the photo below, Board of Trustees member Charles Tomlinson (who lives on Calkinstown Road) shares the story of Stephen Calkin during our 2006 Hillside Cemetery tour. Calkin (1706 -1781) came to Sharon from Lebanon, CT, and was one of the original proprietors of our town.
Stephen Calkin purchased two land lots in 1738, at an auction in New Haven.
These original Sharon Home Lots #31 and #35 were located near the intersection of Calkinstown Road and Williams Road, and west of Low Road (Rte 41) north of Beardsley Pond, respectively. The land sold at auction amounted to about 700 acres per lot and each lot cost about $1,000. In order to retain title to their land, the purchasers were required to clear and fence six acres of land, and build a house not less than 18′ x 18′.
Twenty-eight of the purchasers built houses on their lots and twenty-two resold theirs. Calkin was one of sixteen who chose to settle in the new frontier town, establishing a dynasty that stayed in Sharon for several generations.
Stephen’s first wife was Mary Curtis, who died in 1753, probably after giving birth to their 8th child, Elisha. After her death he married Elizabeth Heath, who bore him two more sons.
In his will, he stated that he had been a horse and cattle drover and had owned a sloop named “Ann”. He also noted that he had been fortunate to own land in Heron, Lebanon and Sharon, and that he was a patriot during the Revolution.
The earliest reference to the Calkinstown Road is in a deed from Stephen Calkins of 40 acres, including his house and barn, to his son Amos in 1780, the year before Stephen died.
Ebeneezer Gay (Gay Street)
Also buried in the old section of the Hillside Cemetery is Ebenezer Gay.
The house that Gay had built on Main Street is now home to the Sharon Historical Society, and is known as the Gay-Hoyt House, in honor of its builder and Miss Ann Sherman Hoyt, who donated it to the society.
Ebenezer Gay (1725-1787) was born in Litchfield , CT, the son of John Gay, Esq. and Lydia Colver Gay, who had lived in Dedham, Massachusetts. In 1743, John and Lydia moved to Sharon, purchasing Lot #39 from Israel Holley. The Gays had four sons: John, Ebenezer, Fisher and Perez.
Gay’s services to Sharon’s civic life were many. He was Constable from 1760-1769, served as Tax Collector in 1763 and was re-elected six times to that position. He served as Selectman in 1766 and again thirteen terms after that. In 1770 and 1772, Gay was a Grand Juror, served as Assemblyman from 1775 to 1778, and was the Town Treasurer in 1775 and for seven additional terms.
During the Revolutionary War, Ebenezer was a Major, in charge of Colonel Charles Burrell’s 14th Connecticut Militia Regiment, a detachment of 300 to 500 men.
In 1777, he sat on a committee to care for the families of those serving in the Continental Army, and in that year was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. In 1778, Ebenezer was procuring clothing for the Continental Army, and used his own funds to pay for large quantities of military equipment and supplies. The Connecticut Promissory Notes were unsupported, and Ebenezer lost his fortune, as did many patriots who borrowed or posted their own funds for the Revolution. Ebenezer died intestate on July 16, 1787.
Caleb Jewett (Jewett Hill Road)
Mark and Liam as the Caleb Jewett family during our 2004 Cemetery Tour.
Caleb Jewett (1710-1778) moved from Norwich to Sharon in 1743. He first occupied the lot, where Governor Smith later lived, which is now Weatherstone (58 South Main Street). Caleb sold that lot to Deacon Elmer in 1744, and bought land from Samuel Chapman.
The Caleb Jewett house was built at what is now #1 Jewett Hill Road, the crossroads of Jackson Hill, Fairchild, Sharon Mountain and Jewett Hill Roads.
Jewett was married twice. His first wife, Rebekah, died on July 15, 1764 at the age of 46. His second wife, Faith, died on March 8, 1787 at the age of 65. The children of both marriages were numerous: four sons – Caleb, Nathan, Thaddeus and Alpheus; and five daughters – Mary, Jerusha, Rebecca, Irene and Sybil.
Jewett was active in Sharon politics, serving as a Representative to the State Assembly and as Selectman for 12 years. On August 20, 1755, Jewett, Stephen Calkin, and Jonathan Gillette were authorized to procure materials and build a scaffold for the ordination of The Reverend Smith. Each man was referred to as “Lieutenant”.
Jewett’s family continued to thrive in Sharon, and the Jewett Manufacturing Company made shot and shell for the Hotchkiss Company’s firearms. The company also produced malleable iron used to make a variety of items, from garden tools, to oxen shoes and belt buckles.
Sharon at this time was known as the “Mousetrap Capital of the World”, and Jewett iron was used in the manufacture of this invention of Judson Bostwick. Small children were employed to put the small pieces of the traps together, an after school activity which brought extra income to the families in Sharon.
Alpheus Jewett, who lived to the ripe old age of 86, was the father of the Reverend William Jewett of New York and also of the Honorable Judge Jewett. Methodist meetings were often held in Alpheus Jewettt’s home until the Sharon United Methodist Church was erected in 1835.
Caleb Jewett is buried in lot number 308 of the old section of the Hillside Cemetery, with the epitaph:
IN MEMORY OF CAPTAIN JEWETT
WHO DIED JANUARY 18, 1778
IN THE 68TH YEAR OF HIS LIFE:
“Let not the dead forgotten be,
Lest we forget that we must die”
Ira Williams (Williams Road)
Ira Williams (1790-1877) bought the house at 138 Calkinstown Road, at the corner of Williams Road, from James Calkins in 1833, and it remained in the Williams family for over 100 years. The original house no longer exists but is remembered by many people in Sharon today.
Ira was an important person in the construction and the life of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Sharon. He is listed as the first subscriber to the building of the church, the only one who promised $200. His brother Elijah (1788-1842) promised $100 and all subscribers promised to give one half of their subscription at the time they signed the list and the second half at the completion of the church building. At a meeting of the Episcopal Society of Sharon in January 1835 Ira was listed as a member of the church society and a trustee of the society. He was aIso appointed to the Building Committee as was Elijah. Elijah was chosen as treasurer of the Society. The two brothers were also noted as members of the group who bought land for a horse shed to be built next to the Church in 1839.
Despite his obvious commitment to the Church, in regard to both time and money, his great-great nephew, Harris Bartram Moulton, in a 1967 letter, made fun of the plaque to Ira inside the church, saying “Uncle Ira was nothing but a damned skinflint.”
Nonetheless Ira was honored by the town of Sharon when Williams Road was named after him and his family. An elegant pair of portraits of Ira Williams and his wife Melissa, painted in 1840 by Ammi Phillips, hangs together in the library at the Sharon Historical Society.
That concludes our Tour of Sharon’s Street Names. Our next tour focuses on “The Jobs We Had,” a tribute to the men and women who lived and worked here in Sharon.
Ken Edholm as Ira Williams during our 2006 Cemetery Walk
Ira & Melissa Williams are in Section B, lot number 23.
TheJobs We Had
In this tour we will explore the people connected to jobs and businesses here in Sharon: George Marckres, Nina Juckett Bartram, Henry & Edward Gillette and Adonijah Maxam.
George Marckres (1853 – 1937) arrived in Sharon, CT, from Albany, Vermont, in 1882 with his wife, Marie. He opened a small pharmacy and variety store in the center of town, just north of the Town Hall and the (then) adjacent Post Office. He was a man of diverse interests and talents, but today he is best remembered for his artistry with the camera. Marckres’ cumbersome 5×7 glass plate camera with its red leather bellows was kept under the counter at his store ready to be snatched up when his discerning eye spotted a scene or an event to be recorded and preserved.
In his vast collections of photos can be found subjects of celebrity status such as Samuel Clemens (pen name Mark Twain) and naturalist John Burroughs, both of whom occasionally visited the area. Even though his equipment could often be unruly, Marckres was always ready for a photo shoot at fires, floods, and even a train wreck. It is said that through the course of his life he developed well over 1,000 glass plate negatives depicting people at elections, parades, weddings, and sundry other town events. Those glass plate negatives are now in the archives of the Sharon Historical Society.
This multi-talented man was responsible for a large percentage of the known vintage photographs of Sharon, and his contribution to our town’s history in the late 19th and early 20th century cannot be overstated.
Marckres was also adept in other areas as well. By trade he was a jeweler and a clockmaker. With music as one of his passions he organized a small town band. In his spare time he was also able to pursue ornithology and taxidermy (see above.)
His house was located just north of his store and still stands. The building to the right of the Town Hall was the Marckres family home for 72 years, and later the home of WKZE and the Robin Hood Radio. The cut stone foundation walls give evidence to the age of the structure whereas the exterior has seen many alterations over the years.
Yet another Marckres service to the town was the winding of the clock tower by hand for several decades. His grandson, Frank, would often help him pull up the weights.
George M. Marckres is buried in section K, lot number 13, of the Hillside Cemetery.
Nina Juckett Bartram
Nina Louise Juckett Bartram (1888 – 1986), the daughter of Milton Juckett and Flora Benedict, was born and raised in Sharon, and grew up to be a prominent member of her community.
At age nineteen Nina was a teacher at the one room schoolhouse on White Hollow Road. At one time there were as many as 18 or 19 little school houses scattered throughout Sharon’s large township. With the waning of the iron industry, town population shrank and several of the schoolhouses closed as districts were consolidated. Nina’s was one of them and she moved over to the schoolhouse in the Ellsworth section of Sharon. She took room and board near the schools at which she taught, and kept herself fit and trim by walking most everywhere she went.
During WW II Nina, along with other volunteers, was a Plane Spotter. Observation posts were strategically located at East Street, Sharon Valley, and by the school. Nina also served as deaconess in the Congregational Church. Eventually, she became Postmaster at the Sharon P.O. in the 1950’s, appointed by the president of the United States, Harry S. Truman. Another test was given and Nina’s scores were once again “at the top”.
At home Nina was always busy with her gardens. She grew beautiful flowers and tended a very productive vegetable garden. She took prizes for her produce at fairs. There were also chickens, cows, and pigs on the family farm. Her daughter, Barbara, who still lives in the family home on Millerton Road, fondly remembers her mother’s chicken biscuit pie made in individual custard cups. Parker House rolls were another of her famous specialties. She would make these and bring them to church sales where everyone was eager to buy them. Barbara also recalls that her mother kept diaries for decades and that she was an excellent writer. She often wrote detailed letters to family and friends keeping much of her correspondence up regularly for years.
Nina Bartram is buried in section L, lot number 22, of the Hillside Cemetery.
Henry & Edward Gillette (Storekeepers)
Henry Martin Gillette (1827 – 1870) and Edward Franklin Gillette (1830 – 1906) came from Canaan, CT. Henry and Hiram Weed were partners in the Calkinstown area in an iron foundry which remelted iron for the manufacture of a wide variety of items. Weed, famous for his major role in the local iron industry, married the Gillettes’ sister Abigail. In 1859 Henry and Elijah Knight together operated a store under the name of Knight & Gillette but the partnership did not last long; Elijah Knight soon moved to Danbury.
The Gillette Brothers purchased the store at the head of Main Street on September 1, 1860. It soon became known as the Gillette Store, selling all kinds of hardware and furniture. The business thrived until 1865 when Henry moved to Salisbury to open a store with Henry J. Bissell, a former clerk in the Sharon store, under name of Gillette & Bissell. Henry Gillette died in 1870 at the young age of 43.
Edward continued to operate the Sharon store and in 1893 his son Edward Franklin “Frank” Gillette, Jr. (1875 – 1909) became a partner, at which time the store came to be known as E.F. Gillette & Son. The store was a grand emporium selling food, tools, bolts of cloth, furniture, baby carriages, patent medicines, rifles, shotguns, a variety of notions and many other things. After Edward’s death in 1906, his son continued the enterprise until his own death in 1909 when it was left to his sister Elizabeth. Her husband, Clarence H. Eggleston (1812 – 1893), was a pharmacist and publisher of local photographic postcards.
Many accolades were bestowed on the Gillette brothers and their families. It was said that they were “prominent in both church and community; it is doubtful if any family has ever left a lasting impression of goodness than the Gillettes.” There were “no black sheep among them to mar an otherwise clean record. The name was never associated with a movement that had not for its end the betterment and its people.” When Edward, Jr., better known as Frank, died it was said, “When word got around that Frank was dead the community received a shock it will long remember. It will be a long time before the people of Sharon could realize that Frank was dead, and longer still before the responsibilities he had carried would be shifter to other shoulders.”
Edward Sr. was a trustee of the Hotchkiss Library and a deacon of the Congregational Church.
Henry Gillette is buried in Section G, lot number 8, of the Hillside Cemetery.
Edward F. Gillette is buried in Section B, lot number 18, of the Hillside Cemetery.
E. Franklin Gillette, Jr., is buried in Section L, lot number 28, of the Hillside Cemetery.
Adonijah Maxam (1754-1850), son of Adonijah and Kezia Maxam, settled on the Ellsworth Pike section of Sharon shortly after the town was opened in 1748. He married twice, first to Zilpah (1758-1813) and then to Catherine Hosford. His children were Elijah (1785-1786), Anna (1787-1847), Calvin (1790-1812), Almira (??) and John (1807-1808). Adonijah outlived all of his children and both wives.
In the Revolutionary War, Maxam served in the 3rd Company of the 4th Regiment. The Regiment marched north toward Canada, but stopped at Crown Point and Ticonderoga to do guard duty at the forts that had been captured by Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys.
By September of 1775 Maxam and the Ethan Allen Boys were laying siege to St. Johns on the Richelieu River, just 20 miles below the city of Montreal. On September 25th they crossed the St. Lawrence River to take on the British at Montreal. Their attack was both outnumbered and outgunned by the British, and after taking a number of losses, Ethan Allen ordered his men to drop their arms and surrender.
Maxam’s next months as a POW were spent in the hold of a prison ship, shackled in irons, living on salt pork, water and ½ cup of rum a day. The prisoners were taken to Falmouth, England, where they were displayed to British nobles as if they were exotic animals.
The prisoners were convicted as traitors, but retaliatory measures from the American colonies were strong enough to cause them to be brought back to New York in the spring of 1776.
The prisoners were granted daily exercise in an old churchyard, where they found a loose board in the surrounding fence. The prisoners pried loose the board, escaped to Long Island and scattered to their homes. Maxam returned to Sharon and was toasted as a hero.
After the war, Adonijah worked as farmhand for Caleb Jewett’s son Alpheus. He joined the Methodist Church. In 1832, Maxam appeared before the Sharon Probate Court, apparently because there were no written documents proving his service or his honorable discharge. He gave a detailed sworn deposition and then relinquished any claim to any pension or annuity. Much of the information here came from that deposition.
Adonijah Maxam is buried in Section B, lot number 26 in Hillside Cemetery.
On the back of his stone is the following epitaph:
As a true Patriot he served his country faithfully in the war of the Revolution.
As a friend he was warm and constant in his attachments, while he was strongly
opposed to those he deemed the enemies of his country and of the Christian faith.
As an honest man, a useful citizen and a devoted Christian he lived respected
and died lamented.
Sharon’s Civil War Veterans
In this tour we will explore the lives of three Civil War veterans: William Henry Ingraham was a musician in the war; George H. Foote was a member of 29th Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, Company E.; Charles F. Sedgwick served as moderator for the many town meetings that were held as Sharon prepared to send men to fight in the Civil War.[two_third padding=”0 15px 0 0px”]
William Henry Ingraham
William Ingraham (1830-1913) was probably born in Amenia, NY, but by 1850 was a Sharon resident along with his parents Weston and Phebe Ingraham and several siblings. Ingraham enlisted in the 2nd Connecticut Volunteer Heavy Artillery Regiment, Company B, as a Private on August 11, 1862. He was promoted to Full Musician. His duties might have included entertaining troops in camp, but he would definitely have had the responsibility of keeping troops in cadence while marching, and signaling commands and calls during battle. Musicians also served as medics, assisting field surgeons and helping to evacuate the wounded and bury the dead.
Such skills were certainly needed as the 2nd Connecticut fought at Cold Harbor, Virginia, from May 31- June 12, 1864. Cold Harbor was a vital crossroad, and General Grant threw everything he had at the Confederates defending that crossroad. Grant lost 7,000 men in 30 minutes, and would have lost more had his commanders obeyed his orders to advance one more time. Grant was later quoted as saying this was the only attack he wished he had never ordered.
Ingraham survived the Battle of Cold Harbor, and was mustered out of the 2nd Regiment on August 18, 1865 at Fort Ethan Allen, Washington D.C.
For more information about the 2nd CT Volunteer Heavy Artillery and their catastrophic losses at Cold Harbor, visit their website at www.the2dconn.com.
George H. Foote
George H. Foote (1829-1909) was a farmer living in Sharon with his second wife, Sarah, when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the army as a member of the 29th Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, Company E. The 29th was a black militia, whose members had to wait until Congress passed two acts allowing the enlistment of African Americans on July 17, 1862. Massachusetts mustered two regiments in 1863, the 54th and the 55th. Connecticut formed the 29th from October to December of 1863, and a full quota was finally reached in January of 1864.
The 29th was mustered into service on March 8, 1864, under Colonel William B. Wooster, but they were not issued muskets until April 6th. The Regiment distinguished itself for the remainder of the year of 1864, fighting at Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, from August 14 to the 24th; Chapman’s Farm, Virginia, on September 29th; Fort Harrison, Richmond Virginia until October 1st; Darbytown Road, Virginia October 13th and Fair Oaks, Virginia, October 27th and 28th.
In 1865, the Regiment garrisoned the line of forts along the Newmarket Road, ensuring that supply lines were kept open during the last year of the Civil War. By March of that year they were placed back in Fort Harrison until the end of the war.
On November 24, 1865, the 29th Regiment was discharged and paid in Hartford, Connecticut. The Regiment had lost during service 1 officer and 44 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded in battle, and 1 officer and 152 enlisted men lost to disease. Company E lost 1 man to battle, 16 to disease, 16 were wounded and 10 were discharged for disability. After the war Foote resided in Salisbury, Connecticut. No information is available about his life after his service in the Civil War.
Charles F. Sedgwick
Charles Sedgwick was born on September 1, 1795, in Cornwall Hollow, the son of John Andrews Sedgwick. He was the grandson of General John Sedgwick, who served as Major General of the Connecticut State Militia in the Revolutionary War, and he was also a direct descendant of the Puritan Robert Sedgwick who arrived in the American Colonies in 1636. C. F. Sedgwick died in Sharon on March 9, 1882.
Sedgwick graduated from Williams College in 1813, and studied law under Judge Cyrus Swan, whose daughter Betsy he later married. He and Betsy had ten children. His service to the State of Connecticut included serving in the State Militia as Major General, holding the office of State’s Attorney for Litchfield County, serving in both branches of the Connecticut State Legislature and being Justice of the Peace of the County of Litchfield in 1864.
He served as moderator for the many town meetings that were held as Sharon prepared to send men to fight in the Civil War.
Sedgwick wrote the General History of the Town of Sharon in 1842. The fourth edition of this invaluable history was published by the Sharon Historical Society in 2000.
Charles F. Sedgwick is buried in section F, lot number 11, of the Hillside Cemetery.